Re: Re: Looking for some recordings

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Henry on February 13, 2001 at 11:31:45:

In Reply to: Re: Looking for some recordings posted by Martin on February 12, 2001 at 23:46:45:

The Abe Torchinsky and Glenn Gould version of the Hindemith Sonata was part of a series that Mr. Gould did with the principal players of the Philadelphia Orchestra. If I remember correctly, please correct me if I am wrong, it was billed as Glenn Gould plays the Hindemith brass sonatas with the Philadelphia Brass.
I personally don't like the sound that Mr. Torchinsky has while playing a solo but it is still impressive. The recording is done at about half tempo throughout. I know what many of you are thinking, Hindemith lived in an age of mentronomes so we should adhere to his tempo markings. Well, from what I was told, Mr. Gould and Mr. Torchinsky discussed this and Mr. Gould gave several examples of times when Mr. Hindemith's indicated tempi were not the ones he used in performance. For those of you who didn't know, Mr. Gould was the president of the Hindemith Society for many years. The tempi that were taken for the recording were; First movement was quarter note = 40, second movement was quater note = about 120 and for the third movement the quarter note = 80 not half note = 80. This is what I remember now but I will go home and listen to it again and correct myself if this is wrong.
Now for my opion, I personally like the Gene Pokorney recording best but I love the Abe Torchinsky recording as a different interpretation of the piece. I do think that this recording is out of print.
One other option for the Hindemith is a version by Jeffrey Funderburck (sp?) playing. It is another good version.
As for the Vaughn-Williams, I would suggest leaving that one alone unless you have a secure high range up to and including F above the staff. It is usually done on an Eb or F tuba as they make the high notes much easier.
Good luck with the songs,
Henry Gertcher

Follow Ups: