Re: Re: Sanders Tubas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on February 13, 2001 at 16:05:07:

In Reply to: Re: Sanders Tubas posted by Phil Hawkins on February 13, 2001 at 14:36:21:

With all due respect, allow me to presume to offer a few corrections. The old German company to which you refer is Sander, not Sanders.

Also, the Sanders tubas offered by Custom are made by a variety of manufacturers, but mostly by Cerveny/Amati. In the Custom catalog from 2000, which I have, most of the instruments marked "Sanders" are rebadged Cervenys, and are identical in appearance and specification to the standard Cerveny models. They also offer the Sanders "Conservatory" and "Imperial" models. The "Conservatory" looks like a rebadged VMI, but that's a real guess on my part. The Imperial, by all accounts, is Chinese. Whether or not the Chinese instruments are junk I'll leave to others to assess. The Cerveny-made instruments are identical to instruments so marked, and they represent a way to get an instrument of known quality for a little less money.

As far as I know, the Sanders tubas offered by Custom have never been made in what used to be West Germany.

Rick "who thinks that the name on a tuba means less and less" Denney

Follow Ups: