Re: Re: Re: Gregson performance invite & a question

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on February 14, 2001 at 14:27:33:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Gregson performance invite & a question posted by Rick Denney on February 14, 2001 at 12:10:54:

Actually, I figured with all the project horns and spare parts he must have laying around, there has to be a contrabass tuba in there somewhere, maybe even a playable one...

Both of my students who are currently performing this work are doing so on contrabass tubas. One (my best college student) on a YBB641 and another (my best high school student) on a Kalison Pro 2000. I'm like Joe, I've taught this piece a number of times but never performed or worked on it myself. In looking it over I imagine it would fit nearly perfectly on my Willson (here I go again!) but I would hesitate to do it on many bass tubas because of the nature of some of the lower range parts. Near the end of the first movement is a passage that has a fairly healthy low D which I would prefer to "goose" a little. This is high risk on a smaller horn. I think a larger bass tuba would yield the best results for this work though, even with the larger voice. Maybe I'll have to drag this piece out and see for myself...

My opinion for what it's worth...

Follow Ups: