Re: Today's question

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by tubatheorist on February 24, 2001 at 13:47:22:

In Reply to: Today's question posted by Carl L on February 24, 2001 at 10:27:58:

I wouldn't say it was necessarily one person, but rather a few very influential people. As someone who never quite knew which path in life to follow, these few people have been a great inspiration and support system to me. I think the most influential person to me at the moment is my current teacher. He is really important in my musical life because he has been able to make me realize things about music and its role in my life that no one else has made me realize. My teacher has been the person that made me realize I am a musician simply because I love music. If i am never considered an important person in the tuba world, and no one ever knows who the heck I am, it won't matter, because I love what I do. Although finding my place within the world of music is difficult, I know I will eventually. I think my teacher is a great role model and has great philosophies on music.
He would be upset if he knew I said all this, so I will stop. But all in all, the things I learn and go through every day are invaluable to me.
I'm sure as I get older and further in my career there will be many more people who play this role. But I do have to say as far as KNOWING I was doing the right thing, it was after Sam Pilafian told me about Deanna Swoboda and the "touring" she does. I knew when I heard that story that being able to tour like that and play my instrument would be the ultimate. But I want to be a teacher first and foremost, and it was that story that reinforced music in general as a career for me. All the "pros" I have encountered on a closer level, particularly Sam and Tim Northcut, remind me of what it means to be a great teacher, and they are big inspirations to me as well.
Okay, I'm done babbling... i guess I beat around the bush a little in response to the original question... but that's the answer I formulated.

Follow Ups: