New King 2341

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Greg Crider on February 13, 2002 at 15:17:54:

I recently bought a satin-silver King 2341. With all the hype about the horn, I wondered if it would be as good as everyone has said. There was some question about the relative quality of the particular instrument that I bought, but I have to say that it is the best horn I have ever owned.

It's compact and easy to handle. It's comfortable in the chair, and seems to be designed for medium-height adults. Intonation is spot-on, taking very little lipping to get every note in tune. Its valves are excellent, and it sings very easily in all registers. It has a good dynamic range. Unlike my previous horn, it plays economically; you don't have to blow yourself to death to control it.

The tone is what I like the best. It's a very rich, solid sound, pretty close to the ideal tone I hear in my head. Its tone should work in everything from solo to quintet to band.

If there's anything I can consider a problem, it's that the low register is not as easy as I thought it would be, but I'm working into it. Also, the receiver is pretty large. My Dillon G3 and Bach 18's bottom out before seating, but the mouthpeice that comes with it and my S-H II seat perfectly.

King has a real winner with this horn. I just hope price inflation doesn't set in and make it less of a bargain than it is now. Thanks to all of the people who have given me advice on this purchase, and a special thanks to Matt Walters for taking such good care of his customers.

Follow Ups: