Re: Auditioning for an Army Band

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Craig on February 17, 2002 at 22:30:15:

In Reply to: Auditioning for an Army Band posted by John Reid on February 17, 2002 at 01:14:56:

I am in the Nebraska National Guard, and we have an excellent Army Reserve band based in Lincoln. Since I played a little in HS and college I thought I might try out. I am kind of a hack tuba player but I thought what the heck? Its an ARMY band so they will be desperate for low brass. In this particular case I was wrong. The director was kind enough to give me an informal "preliminary" interview. I found that I would be severely outclassed as a player in this group. The majority of members are either faculty at UNL or UNO, or professional players. Some were even from the Omaha Symphony, which is a very respectable group. I guess my point is, if you want to pursue a military band don't rule out a reserve unit. The Army/Navy/Air Force/Marines all have great music programs. They are all top-notch and very competetive. You might get a flavor of military life but without the full-time commitment. It worked great for me (in the medical field) Just my 2 cents! Craig

Follow Ups: