Re: Auditioning for an Army Band

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by joe on February 19, 2002 at 00:38:49:

In Reply to: Auditioning for an Army Band posted by John Reid on February 17, 2002 at 01:14:56:

John,

As a current military musician I woudl suggest the following:

1. Make sure this is what you want to do. Regardless of what the military will tell you, crap still happens to you, even if you are in the band.

2. Another person posted that you should join right out of high school. I would suggest the opposite. If you get a degree first the Army will pay back up to $60,000 in federal loans (Stafford, PLUS, PErkins, etc...). A degree will also allow you to get promoted faster (more pay) and a sign up bonus up to $12,000 is not uncommon. I made E-5 in less than two years because of a degree, got a $4,000 signing bonus, and $48,000 in loans repaid. Lastly, the militray will pay 75% of you tuition while on active duty. This helps if you desire to get a masters or higher degree.

3. You will be told you will get to pick your first assignment. This may be true for some, but not for me. My duty station was changed 3 times before I was shipped out. The choice is also based upon needs of the Army so the base you want may not be available.

I hope this helps.

Joe

Follow Ups: