Re: Re: Re: Re: Flogging a dead horse...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on February 03, 2003 at 14:42:59:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Flogging a dead horse... posted by I agree, but on February 03, 2003 at 06:27:01:

I agree, and I said as much in my post. Playing a BBb in a college program would put you at odds with most professors, and that just isn't worth the uphill battle. If a BBb is as good as a C, then a C is as good as a BBb. Avoiding the switch because of fingering difficulties or unwillingness to get another instrument is no excuse. Avoiding it because one owns a phenomenal instrument that happens to be in BBb--an instrument that will sound good enough to make the case--is another matter, but I suspect that would be pretty rare.

We've heard the clean articulation argument before, and there is certainly a difference in feel. If an F is different than a C in feel, then a C should be at least a little different than a BBb in feel. But I don't hear any difference in articulation between CC and F from the best players, so I don't expect a BBb has to have different-sounding articulation just because it is 11% longer.

Rick "thinking of bell curves that mostly overlap" Denney

Follow Ups: