Re: Rudy troubles

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Alex on February 07, 2003 at 00:53:43:

In Reply to: Rudy troubles posted by Kurt on February 05, 2003 at 20:04:49:

I used a 4/4 CC Rudy for two years, and have since moved onto a the 5/4 version. I found the low register on the 4/4 to be fantastic, although it did take a considerable amount of work.
The kind of thing I did was to play the Bordogni/Grigoriev studies as written and down an octave, trying to keep the same pitch & consistency in sound; with a bass trombone or tuba colleague playing along makes all the difference somedays. Alternate buzzing through the whole study with friend playing along. I used to do this offen, AND not just the first one or two studies, but the more like 8 to 10 at a time, and really build up the stamina.
It really hurts for the first few months, but you get used to it. And if you can play through the half the book in sitting I reckon you're doing well. The friend to play with can also kick your butt and keep you going. I guess a bit like at the gym or exercising in general-when you know you might need that kick up the butt.
So persevere, and get a thick rich buzz going down low.
Another thing might be, the Rudy I played was made in 1990 or there abouts. I'm not entirey sure, but they may vary now. But if anything they should be better.
Who knows......

Follow Ups: