Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Looking for a DMA

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by JoeS on February 09, 2003 at 18:51:40:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Looking for a DMA posted by Rick Denney on February 08, 2003 at 09:14:47:

Again, my eloquence leaves a lot to be desired as compared to my frankness:

With the exceptions of a few players (exceptions such as Dave Zerkel, as an example), there just aren't a ton of D.M.A.-path (career Professors of Tuba who have achieved or are seeking terminal degrees) tuba players who could make a good showing at orchestral job auditions. I've heard too many c.d.'s and web-clips of faculty recitals to think otherwise. Again, don't assume that I am referring to all , and obviously many of those who play in orchestras and teach are not the ones to which I refer. Even Mr. Zerkel in a recent audition thread admitted to his (not quoting him verbatum at all, but) "fat and happy" status with his job - he unlike others not letting that effect his level of performance prowess. (Correct me if I misinterpreted.)

Not that most of the D.M.A.-types aren't extraordinary players with superb insights into learning how to play, it's just that few of them have concentrated on trying to achieve that last 1/10th of 1% that would put them at the top of a stack of 100 applicants for a playing job. In some towns, I've even heard of rivalries for students between those who "can" and those who "teach" - sometimes effecting whose names appear on orchestra "sub" lists, university overload student teaching lists, and the whole predictably "political" scene.

Follow Ups: