Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Tuba overhaul web page completed

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tony E on February 11, 2003 at 15:14:55:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Tuba overhaul web page completed posted by Rick Denney on February 11, 2003 at 11:50:48:

Rick,

Lots of good points in your post.

On when to use one's name, perhaps we don't have the same view. You read the post by Sidelines and took it as a serious inquiry. I'd say from the tone of Dale's post he took it as a pot shot from the cheap seats. When I first read it, I wasn't sure. I really couldn't tell. Joe immediately clarified, and I certainly take him at his word. I mention the issue of signing one's name because in another post, Joe indicated that subtle choices of words can make a big difference in whether people percieve your aim as constructive or destructive. He's absolutely right about that, and to me, in the same way, clever aliases aren't the way to go when you're putting up a post like this one. Just my view...if player A wants to make a constructive criticism or ask a critiquing question of a performance he just heard by player B, and wants to be clear that he's not intending to be antagonistic, then he should start with signing his name, not something like "pardon me" It doesn't have anything to do with whether or not we know who it is.

Hey, this is the tubenet, and Dan's a big boy. He knows when he puts up a post that he's welcoming all comments and questions. Even if it was a criticism, even an antagonistic one, that doesn't bother me one bit. Especially with respect to Dan, who we all know doesn't himself hesitate to call it the way he sees it.

It is a fascinating topic though. I'm sure repair experts are constantly making cost/benefit choices and recomendations, which as you point out, are all subject to the context of the owner's objectives. As customers, we're dependent not only on their technical skills, but also their market savy. I wish we could be a fly on the mind's wall.

The overall point of my last post was to understand the $2,800 number. The $1000 less than a new one (student model?) seems low to me, but Joe knows the market better than I do, which is why I ask.

Tony "who certainly appreciates our resident provocateur" E

Follow Ups: