Re: tubas for younger folk

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by dave hayami on February 12, 2003 at 00:10:00:

In Reply to: tubas for younger folk posted by N. Dwyer on February 11, 2003 at 19:49:11:

At the middle school that I teach at, the school owns 2 yamaha 3/4 3 valve tubas (103 and 102)They were here when I got the job 16 years ago.I have added out of my own money 2 Olds
3 valve 0-99-1(Big 3/4)a Conn 10J and 2 Mirafone 186 BBb with both bell fronts and upright
bells.My students start in the 6th grade, and I have had a few that were physically big enough for the 186, but not ready for them.Almost all of ther horns that I have bought have come from "yabE" and most have needed some work.(don't ask what they look like)
With the help of several repair "artists", my students have several different sized horns
to try out to see what fits best.Last year I had 2 eighth graders that were over 6' and 185lbs.This year my lone eighth gradeer is 4'10' and 110lbs.I do have the eighth grade students play on the 186's to get used to the 4th valve.Thanks to the repair "artists"
I am able to send 4 fiberglass sousaphone"coils" home to stay for a semester no bells, they just get in the way at home, and yes the tuning slides are pulled out. The Conn
36K(?) is light enough for the 6th grade students to carry them home.

Follow Ups: