Problem note on my Getzen

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Doug on February 14, 2003 at 15:27:13:

Hey guys, it's been a LONG time since I've posted here, but I could seriously use some help.

I've finally found the bad note on my Getzen CB-50: the D above the staff (and sometimes the F above that). Since i hardly ever play the F, it's not much concern, but the D can make a practice session EXTREMELY frustrating.

The basic problem is, the note centers briefly, and then I lose it. So in anything faster than a quarter-note pattern, I'm ok, but any time I need the D for a longer note it just isn't there (think Mvt. II of the Vaughan Williams concerto). I tried these fingering combinations so far:
1 pulled slightly
5 (with the really slide set to tune the pedal F)
1+3
open

Ok, so basically I've tried any combination to fit any of the partials on the horn. My best luck has come with 1+3, but I still lose the pitch 50% of the time. I either get a double buzz yucky sound, or it just drops to a C.

Is this a common problem on CC horns (I never had this problem hitting a high C on a BBb horn), or ont he Getzen in particular, or is it something I can fix readily, like a stronger embochure(sp?) up in that range?

Any and all help is appreciated.

Thanks

Doug "hit's the high note on the "Romanza" by screamin in frustration rather than playing" G.

p.s. I know of no dents in the horn, so that shouldn't be a factor.

Follow Ups: