Re: Problem note on my Getzen

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by John on February 18, 2003 at 14:44:29:

In Reply to: Problem note on my Getzen posted by Doug on February 14, 2003 at 15:27:13:

I have encountered the same problem on my CB50 (and to a much lesser extent on the G50 that I use at work). An accident actually improved the response. My horn was being transported by someone else (not a wise move, by the way) and the horn was damaged. Basically, the bell was rammed against a fixed object. Even though the horn was in a gig bag, the bell was crinkled a little bit. More importantly, the top-most brace on the bell was pushed in about 1/4 inch due to the force of the impact. The individual who did it tried to get to a repair shop before telling me but was anable to do so. Anyway, I used the horn that night for a performance and while I was warming up I noticed that the high D, while still not quite as good as the other notes around it, was much, much easier to play and came fairly close to matching the surrounding pitches.

Maybe there is a node there that was altered just enough. I wouldn't recommend ramming the horn into objects to try to duplicate this effect, however.

I have had the bell crinkle repaired but will leave the brace just as the accident left it. There are too many good qualities to this horn to let a small number of notes get in the way of. I just try to use as much concept practicing as I can to deal with the slight problems.

John

Follow Ups: