Re: Re: Re: Re: Tech advice...recording equip?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on February 17, 2003 at 12:12:47:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Tech advice...recording equip? posted by Kenneth Sloan on February 16, 2003 at 20:39:15:

The next step up from a "cheapie Sony Minidisc" is an "expensive Sony Minidisc." You get get a non-portable model that has digital outputs. The next step up from that is a hard-disk recorder that puts the music directly onto a hard disk.

For your application, though, where portability is not at issue, I think I'd continue to plug good microphones directly into the sound card, and use the computer as a hard-disk recorder. You have to think of way, though, to get the CPU out of the room--they are all loaded with cooling fans and they make a racket.

CoolEdit Pro provides track-laying ability, and it's easy to set recording levels with both CoolEdit (which is a digital setting) and with the Turtle Beach software (which sets the hardware). Since you already have all that stuff, the cost of CoolEdit Pro would be a lot less than a home MD deck with digital outputs. You could supplement the rig with a cheapie MD portable for use in the field.

All of these technologies are more than good enough for auditions. From everything I've read and heard on the subject, auditions do not need to be professionally produced, but do need to provide a clear example of the person's technical playing abilities (articulation, dynamics, intonation, and so on). Their sound and musicianship will get judged in person, I suspect.

Rick "who would record himself more often if it wasn't so painful" Denney

Follow Ups: