Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Tech advice...recording equip?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kenneth Sloan on February 18, 2003 at 15:48:32:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Tech advice...recording equip? posted by Rick Denney on February 17, 2003 at 12:12:47:

I already have Cool Edit Pro, but portability is still a plus.

My loyal staff is configuring and burning in a new laptop - perhaps that's the option that makes the most sense for me.

While browsing the web, I notice two disturbing trends in MD. First, there's the fact that Sony is making the systems more and more brittle with mis-features aimed at thwarting theives. Second, there's all the features in support of listening options (while jogging, while sitting in class, etc. - what's next? while swimming?) It seems nearly impossible to find something aimed at *recording*.

Does anyone know what happened to the "Sountainer"? That looks to me like the .wav of the future - except that I saw one web page devoted to the takeover of the company producing it.

My technical intuition tells me that price and features are at the point where it should be possible to produce a very good solid-state recorder. The ones on the (Amazon) market are now aimed at voice and are still a tad pricey - but memory prices are in freefall. I understand that the consumer market will center on *listening* - but how hard can it be to put a decne mic input on the new iPod, along witha few basic editting functions (primarily the ability to back up over dead space, or a remote start/stop recording switch)?

For the moment, I'll modify my requirements to "can be carried from room to room as easily as a tuba".

Or...I'll be reasonable and figure that there will not be any appreciable loss involved in placing a portable MD player in between the microphone and the sound-card analog inputs. The main reason for wanting digital transfer is the time involved in a real-time analog transfer.

Now...how about disposable media? What media do current auditions accept/require?

Follow Ups: