Re: Re: Re: Opinion on a horn please

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mary Ann on February 05, 2004 at 10:27:45:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Opinion on a horn please posted by Jm on February 04, 2004 at 20:23:54:

since you don't have the usual aversion to learning fingerings, I don't think it matters a whole lot whether you get a BBb or a CC. And the Eb suggestion is one to consider; a large-ish Eb can be the only tuba you need.

As for brass band....the poster below told you there are Eb parts and BBb parts. I am currently playing the Eb part on a 3/4 CC tuba, which has a lot of the tone qualities of an Eb. I don't have trouble reading the clef because I'm flexible that way; I don't read by fingering but by pitch, so as long as I know the instrument and the clef I can play it. If I have a high solo on the Eb part, I bring in my F tuba and have both of them on stage. I need the CC to project on the below-the-staff notes; we don't have a strong BBb section.

My suggestion.....wait until you choose a college and a teacher before you buy an instrument. Your first one is very likely to not be your last one!! Unless of course your parents are just rich and don't mind.

Suggestions: MW 2155 for a piston CC. But it's pretty big. I don't know anything at all about BBb tubas; I've played a couple, but since I also play in orchestras, I prefer the CC.

I don't see anything wrong with your color preferences, but just leave some room that the tuba that you like the looks of the most, may not be the one that plays the best. I like lacquered silver too, but both my tubas are lacquered brass. My horn is unlacquered brass. Go figure.

MA

Follow Ups: