Thoughts on Teaching

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by DS on February 09, 2004 at 20:05:38:

This is from my low-brass syllabus. I'd enjoy any comments.

Thoughts on Teaching Music

As future band directors, it is essential that we are skilled at making music, ourselves. This requires a good deal of mastery on a musical instrument. By studying our chosen instrument, we can experience music making on a higher level than is found in most ensemble settings. We learn the intricacies of phrasing, breath control, styles of articulation, healthy tone production, intonation tendencies, rhythmic accuracy, and many other fundamental musical skills. Without these skills, a teacher will be ill equipped to run any ensemble.

Perhaps the most important skill an educator must possess is the ability to demonstrate dedication to an endeavor. The delayed gratification that is gained through diligent practice is something you need to experience firsthand, on your own instrument, in order for you to successfully inspire members of your ensembles to practice.

It is also important that you possess greater musical mastery than the students you will be teaching in the public schools. The level of musicianship in junior high can be quite amazing when a student is given proper training and encouragement. If your high-school students are better musicians than you are, it will be difficult to motivate them and create a positive learning environment.

Everything we will do in lessons is designed to accomplish two main tasks: to make you a better player and to make you a better teacher. Attending recitals, writing reviews and keeping a notebook are all important, not to mention daily practicing. None of these endeavors are "busywork." I will not waste your time. If you come to lessons prepared and are willing explore areas related to brass playing, you will improve rapidly.

There is no limit to how great a musician and educator you can become.

Follow Ups: