Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Low register dynamics

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Alex C on February 13, 2004 at 11:09:33:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Low register dynamics posted by Yes on February 13, 2004 at 10:42:04:

If "you simply shift a greater volume of air through a larger hole," where do you get the larger hole? The throat of the mouthpiece is fixed. The air passage ("throat") is relatively fixed and really not much bigger than a peanut. The principal that applies at the mouthpiece throat applies at the embouchure.

If you want to learn, compare with physical models. Does a violinist use a longer string for loud passages? What makes it louder? The answer is that it's the amplitude of vibration. Drum heads stay the same size, when struck harder the amplitude of vibration is greater, more air mass is moved, voila! loud drums!

There is the phenomonon of length-tension-thickness that must be accounted for in drawing conclusions and you touched on that saying that the lip aperture must widen but balancing all of this is impossible on a cognitive level.

You've put some thought into this however I wouldn't think so much about playing the tuba if I had it to do over again. I'd enjoy playing the tuba more (if that's possible).

To play louder you simply have to excite the air column more. I'm inspired... I'm going to do that now.

Follow Ups: