Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Low register dynamics

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Alex D on February 13, 2004 at 13:08:53:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Low register dynamics posted by Rick Denney on February 13, 2004 at 11:36:11:

Rick, Rick, Rick... there was amis-understanding about amplitude equalling volume of sound, that's why I wrote this stuff to begin with.

You talk about applying a large force to a vibrating area but are you aware that the U. of Chicago measured the inter-oral pressure of brass players playing a middle C? They found that the "back-pressure" for all of them was about the same, roughly 7-8 ozs. if memory serves. 7-8 ozs. for a middle C.

As the range decreased, so did the inter-oral pressure. That's why Mr. Jacobs always said that "strength is your enemy, weakness is your friend." 90% of what tubists play is below middle C.

If a student bunches up of his muscles to play a low F fortissimo, I know it isn't going to work. The isometric tension that usually accompanies, stifles the flow of air needed for high volume levels.

Nevertheless, I was responding to people who didn't understand the difference between speed of air and "air volume." That's why hard/fast air is another thread which we are starting right now.

Follow Ups: