Re: Re: Re: Re: Low register dynamics

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on February 13, 2004 at 11:36:11:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Low register dynamics posted by Alex C on February 13, 2004 at 11:26:49:

Alex, the difference between faster and harder is definitely related to this thread. Harder = higher pressure, and that's the problem in the low register as I'm sure you'll agree. See my other post where I go into detail on the fluid mechanics involved.

Nobody argues that the loudness is controlled by the amplitude of the vibration, but there are lots of things that control that amplitude. You can apply large force with a low pressure by increasing surface area--this is the real key to the low register. Most people struggle with the low register in that they cannot get the lips to vibrate at the right frequency without constraining them properly, and they resort to shortcuts to provide the constraints. Those shortcuts include closing the teeth or blocking the flow with the tongue, and these are the no-nos. Opening the aperture behind the lips lowers the pressure and increases the volume and speed.

Rick "who thinks pressure is the critical concept" Denney

Follow Ups: