Re: Re: Re: An interesting lesson

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by LDC on February 18, 2004 at 18:56:04:

In Reply to: Re: Re: An interesting lesson posted by Mary Ann on February 18, 2004 at 14:54:20:

Started with rhe tuba,by accident, at age 51. Studied piano 10 years as a child. Hated it.Talked into taking up the woodwinds as a teen. Hated it. Found the brass fever at the time I picked up this tuba. Too bad I could not have found the brass earlier in life.

I play in a community type band in Old Salem (North Carolina).It is reported to be one of the oldest wind bands in the country. It was founded in the mid 1700's. It formed the NC 26th Regiment Band that went to the Gettysberg area with Robert E Lee. It was reported to be one of his favorite units.

Anyhoo, the band has been short on horns for three or four years now and my lower back has been killing me for a good year at least. I told our director I might try the horn in order to be able to hold a lighter instrument. He said, anything but a horn and after taking a close look at the mouthpeice, I tended to agree with him.

I think the horn has a beautiful sound and wish I could have started on this earlier in life,also. I commend you for your ability to handle such a multitude of instruments.

LDC

Follow Ups: