Re: Opinions on Besson BE993 tuba

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by mjg on February 19, 2004 at 18:57:26:

In Reply to: Opinions on Besson BE993 tuba posted by James on February 19, 2004 at 15:59:46:

If you are going to get a Compensating BBb get the 994 (3+1) or the Yamaha YBB-631 (I think) 3+1. While the 983 Eb is a very nice instrument, the same ideas didn't transfer to the BBb. The horn, in general feels more stuffy that the 3+1 and it is just about as bad ergonmically. Those aren't what makes it bad. The intonation is really out. Especially in the lower register. I tried one where low D was 234. Db should be 234! Db didn't exist and low C and B natural were way off. Low Eb was close, but that works out fine on a non-comp.

If you want compensating, stick with the 3+1. If you want front action with good response and intonation get a King or a Miraphone 1291.

Willson, Hirsbrunner, Miraphone and one of the French firms (can't remember which) also make a 3+1. I'm sure the Willson kicks butt, but it is a lot of cash and a wait period here in the states. I have no knowledge of the Hirsbrunner and its qualities. The Miraphone is reportedly a good instrument, but that is no suprise given their reputation.

Follow Ups: