Re: Importance of learning scales

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Conservatory Tubist on February 21, 2004 at 00:18:41:

In Reply to: Importance of learning scales posted by Rob McGray on February 20, 2004 at 23:16:37:

Hello,
Before you think that I can't sympathize with you, I can. I came from a highschool of about two-thousand having about 4 bands. Our classes were 90 minutes long. The bands were each at different levels of ability. Every single day we would play our scales regardless of which ensemble you were in. In fact, we had scale tests. We had to play in front of the band our 12 major scales (the band was about 80 students). We were graded. We had great bands and a very smart conductor!

I can understand your grief. Scales are tough and a lot of time boring. I hope you understand what I am going to say. Scales are extrememly important - so much so that my daily warm-up consists of about 45 minutes of scales and arpeggios in every key. Why are they important? Western-Eurpoean music (what you hear and play in band) is built off of scales. In your band music it is a pretty good bet that you can find parts of a scale in every single piece you are playing. If the woodwinds can't play their parts, why? Well, it is the scale that must be hanging them up. If you learn the scale then the likely-hood of them messing up on a run in music is slimmer. Practicing your scales gets you accoustomed to reading in different key signatures, develops your understanding of music theory, improves sight-reading, and just about everything else. If you want to know more just ask. This was a vague post, but it should be enough to get you to rethink the intelligence of your band director. I would give him a round of applause!
Good Luck!

Follow Ups: