Re: Importance of learning scales

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by What has he learned? on February 21, 2004 at 09:19:25:

In Reply to: Importance of learning scales posted by Rob McGray on February 20, 2004 at 23:16:37:

If the poster has taken the time to read through these replies carefully, and has reflected deeply on the almost unanimous wisdom they contain, what might he have learned?

1. Western music and scales are so closely intertwined that scale proficiency yields musical proficiency (acknowledging that other elements are also required)
2. His BD is being very generous by only requiring the band to do 12 of the major 48 scales -- (for now)
3. The poster's proposal is similar to having the HS football team only practice by scrimmaging -- no blocking or tackling or any other drills. I wonder how far they would progress?
4. By working the band on musical fundamentals, the BD greatly increases the band's capability to more quickly and securely master existing and new pieces. The division of time between practicing the fundamentals and practicing the music seems appropriate.
5. (this one requires careful reading and some pondering of the application of some of the replies)
a. The BD is showing wisdom that qualifies for an honorary Masters degree already
b. The BD has shown an excellent understanding of the situation; the poster and his parents hopefully now share this understanding
c. Editorial comment: If the poster's parents had degrees in music, it would lend some weight to their previous opinion regarding the BD's approach. But I also suspect that if they did have music degrees, their opinion would be different, they would have already explained the importance of scales to the poster, and this post would not have shown up. (He would be busy practicing his scales!) Note: simply being a Band Booster member does not necessarily qualify someone to make an informed assessment of the BD's approach to something.
d. I hope the poster's parents read these posts and consider the virtually unanimous answer they provide to improve their understanding on this important topic.
6. As a 45 year old adult amateur tubist, who has played tubas in all four keys over the years -- I've just decided to switch from F to Eb as my choice for my bass tuba (CC is my contrabass horn). How ever will I get my brain to remember all of those different fingerings? I'm heading to the Arban scale book and any/all other scale-based etude books I can find!

Steve Inman
Kokomo, IN

Follow Ups: