Re: Increase lung capacity - How?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by ... on February 21, 2004 at 22:21:21:

In Reply to: Increase lung capacity - How? posted by CharlieJ on February 21, 2004 at 21:19:49:

Well, doing regular breathing exercises will help more than you think. Like was stated earlier, you can't really increase your CAPACITY, but you really don't need to if you use what you have effectively. There are many gagets out there that work on that kind of thing. In high school, my director started us off on balloons. There's more resistance at the beginning, but not much after that. He then took pieces of PVC pipe cut up into small pieces and duct taped bread bags to them. It also worked fine. It's more of a visual thing to show you what you're doing and what not. In undergrad, my teacher had a spirameter(sp?) that measured exactly how much air you were taking in and pushing out. He would periodically put us on it and chart the results. Now, in grad school, my teacher has a new toy that basically puts resistance on the breath in, and the breath out, working the muscles that control that function. There are several different kinds of these on the market, you just have to look for them. I also know that Steven Mead sells some kind toy on his website, or he used to anyway. But enough of my opinion.

"If you don't use it, you'll lose it"
-R. Winston Morris

Follow Ups: