Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Arban Tuba Book

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on February 27, 2004 at 13:27:45:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Arban Tuba Book posted by Volunteer on February 26, 2004 at 11:33:16:

I dunno. I played piano and had piano lessons before starting on tuba, and note names were definitely taught to use in school. The band director was teaching everyone together in beginner band, and could not therefore teach fingerings. We were issued fingering charts and expected to learn those as homework, starting with a Bb scale.

I know all the note names in the treble clef, but when I look at a note, the relationship of that note to the lines and spaces tells me how to react to it, both in terms of a pitch in my head and in terms of a note name and buttons to press.

But when I try to play BBB or regular treble-clef music on tuba, I find myself having to think through the usual Every-Good-Boy-Does-Fine to find a note name for before playing that note name. I believe that this is an automatic process for music majors who have had to show proficiency on all instruments, or for other musicians who have played treble-clef instruments throughout their lives, but for a hobbyist like me getting past this constraint is a lotta work.

Rick "who plays out of the Arban trombone book, and who still can't play piano at sight" Denney

Follow Ups: