Re: Thank you

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by TubaRay on March 01, 2004 at 12:52:08:

In Reply to: Thank you posted by Sad day on February 29, 2004 at 22:54:54:

I had an experience several years ago which bears some similarity to the one you have described. I was called the day before a concert by the conductor of a large polka band who told me he had no tuba to play the concert. He asked if I can bail him out. I agreed to do so and showed up at the appointed time to play the gig(a non-paying gig, I might add). It turned out that he had also lined up two VERY loud tubas players in addition to myself(a not necessarily loud, tuba player). They played so loud that I had a difficult time hearing myself. I was never thanked for my contribution to the cause. As I think about it now, I'm not too certain I made any contribution. I know I didn't hear it if I did.

Anyway, considering that I went out of my way to help out and promptly became part of the woodwork, I was not happy about this. I have, since then, never been available to help this person out.

By way of my own personal rules, here are some of the guidelines:

1)If one of my friends asks me to play, and I am available, I will play. I don't even
question if there is pay or how much. I figure I can work this out with them later.

2)Generally speaking, unless I am a regular member of a group, I expect to be paid. I
will, on occasion, make exceptions to this when I feel it will otherwise benefit me.

3)Depending on the cause, I will play without compensation if I want to promote or
help the cause.

4)Again, generally speaking, if rehearsals are involved and I am not a regular member,
I expect to be compensated. This of course allows for following the above rules.

None of the above are carved-in-stone rules. However, whenever I vary from them I realize there is always the possibility of being taken advantage of.

Ray Grim
The TubaMeisters
San Antonio, Texas

Follow Ups: