Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Thoughts on raw brass

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Wade on March 02, 2004 at 20:01:28:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Thoughts on raw brass posted by Rick Denney on March 02, 2004 at 16:56:18:

I meant that taking an old, unlacquered tuba and lacquering or plating it would require a total buffing/ragging job. I did not mean a new horn, although you can buy some tubas in literal raw brass - sander marks, hammer marks, torch marks, exposed solder, etc. Since the initial amount of metal removed during the finishing process is "normal", then a truly raw tuba would be a little heavier and pretty darn ugly. I have a friend that owns a "raw" B&S Symphonie F that was ordered in this state. It is . . . interesting. It snags my shirt whenever I play it. It sounds wonderful, but looks homemade.

When I polish my horns, I only do the bell (which usually requires very little work) and the nickel silver trim. I have only hand-polished my Alex fully on one occasion (in 1995), and have only buffed parts of is after cleaning up someone else's old, sloppy solder work. I only use Simi-Chrome, but that is just because it works so well on nickel silver.

Any polish suggestions? Lee? Rick? Joe? I want to end up with a really nice and even-looking patina, but ALWAYS end up failing to wipe the instrument down after a concert. So I always end up with fingerprints all over.

Wade "internym impared" Rackley

Follow Ups: