Re: why tuba?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by John Cooper on January 06, 1999 at 19:19:49:

In Reply to: why tuba? posted by Dean Norman on January 06, 1999 at 15:56:56:

Unlike some of the others that have responded, I wasn't "stuck" on the Tuba. I started out on Trombone. In junior high I learned how to play the Baritone Horn, this got me into the Senior Band in high school as a freshman. In high school also started playing Bass Trombone and fell in love with being the "bottom end" of the band.

Well some twenty some odd years later, myself and few of the other brass players in the big band I play in decided to start a brass quintet for fun (and few extra bucks at Christmas and Easter from church gigs). The part that was available to me was the Tuba part. I played that on a borrowed Hirshbruner Euphonium (wow, what a horn) for two years.

Finally my wife decided that this brass quintet thing wasn't going away and broke down and let me get a Tuba. I picked up a Mirafone 184-4U BBb that had been rescued from a junior high school, it looks like hell but plays good enough for my current skills.

I've been following this BBS for about two years. Thanks to the rest of you that contribute, I feel I have learned enough that when I go to spend some real money on my next horn, I will be able to make an informed decision on what, where and how to locate a good horn.

P.S. Thanks Sean

John Cooper

Follow Ups: