Re: why tuba?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by S.P. on January 06, 1999 at 20:48:31:

In Reply to: why tuba? posted by Dean Norman on January 06, 1999 at 15:56:56:

As a little kid, there was always something in me that wanted to play a brass instrument. However, I absolutely detested music until the sixth grade (this was because my mom introduced me to opera first: BORING!) Anyway, in sixth grade, I was given a choice of six instruments to learn: flute, clarinet, saxophone, trumpet, trombone, or baritone (euphonium). For some reason, I immediately gravitated toward the euphonium because it looked the most like a tuba. The next thing I knew, I was running circles around everyone else in the class within a month. I just kept going until my high school band director asked me if I'd switch to tuba (because we didn't have one). I was rather reluctant to give up the euphonium, but finally, I decided tuba was going to be my instrument after I made the All-State Band as a sophomore.
I suppose no one really wanted to read my life story, but I guess music, and especially the tuba, have become such a large part of my life that I feel like telling it. To put it shorter, the interest just seemed to be there naturally, and I needed to realize it on my own.

Follow Ups: