Re: why tuba?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by michael on January 06, 1999 at 22:26:05:

In Reply to: why tuba? posted by Dean Norman on January 06, 1999 at 15:56:56:

This is interesting, MOST of us seem to have gotten to the Tuba in a round-about way. I know that I did...

I began on clarinet in 4th grade, and played it through 8th. I was 1st chair, but I was also the biggest kid in the band at 5'8" and 190 lbs. (everyone thought I was gonna be a giant, but I fooled them I only grew 2 1/2" more from there) Anyway, we needed a tuba player and since I could handle the horn, I was "honored" with the opportunity to play it.

Well, it was love at first toot! The first note I played was F just below the staff, NOT pretty, but it rang my bell.... I loved the sound and have been playing ever since. I only auditioned for All-State in 12th grade, and made 1st alternate, but didn't get to go that year, I went to All-State choir instead....

I did pick up a few scholarships and workships along the way on my horn.

After a lapse of 20 years, I have once again picked it up and am playing in a little group again. I am having a ball! I can hardly wait til I get home from school (i teach ele. band and gen. music) to pick it up. I'm up to about 2 hours a day now, and building...

Looking to finally buy a GOOD horn as soon as I save some $$$, been playing on hand-me-downs all my life and for once, I want a NEW one!!!!

Follow Ups: