Re: Re: Re: why tuba?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Charles D. Ortega on January 06, 1999 at 23:23:01:

In Reply to: Re: Re: why tuba? posted by S.P. on January 06, 1999 at 21:11:39:

Well, for the record, I believe that we each have different experiences and we each find different things easy. That was just my opinion. Here are a few facts. I just graduated from the University of North Texas with a degree in Orchestral Studies. While I was there I was in more than a few Jazz bands. I was involved in brass quintets, and in emsembles in solo recitals. I was in a large Tuba-Euphonium choir, as well a brass choir. I played in various trios, duets, and quartets. I was in some new music ensembles and helped premier new works by local student composers. I have attended Tanglewood, and I have been in the College program at Disney. I have subbed in various orchestras around the Dallas/Ft. Worth area. I have recorded with the University of North Texas Wind Symphony and I am on several CDs, one of which was nominated for a Grammy. I have also had a couple of solo recitals and I DID enjoy the spotlight. Yes, the parts DO get harder, I will agree to that. All of this doesn't matter because what I have to say next is to respond to your response.
We were asked WHY TUBA? Well, THAT was my reason. By and large, Tuba players don't have the melody. They ARE the background, and the framework for whoever does have the melody. I ENJOY being that background. Tuba sounds great as a solo voice, but as to why I play tuba, it is because I get the greatest enjoyment out of being able to play, but at the same time being able to enjoy the sounds around me, as I am listening across the ensemble. THAT is my opinion, for the record.

Follow Ups: