Re: why tuba?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Alan Newman on January 07, 1999 at 08:07:10:

In Reply to: why tuba? posted by Dean Norman on January 06, 1999 at 15:56:56:

Some people say they fell into Tuba. Me too.

My older brother played the trombone and baritone; my sister played trumpet and then baritone. So naturally I started out on clarinet ?!? (fourth grade) A year later I was on bass clarinet, followed by the bassoon the year after that. That worked out until marching band and ninth grade. As the saying goes : let thy will be bent by thy band directors drill writing ability. So I carried a plastic-sousa (painted gold to match the metal ones) around on my shoulder all fall barely uttering a note. The second year, out band bought new tubas and I had learned the fingerings; also I watched the Indiana state band competition. WOW! I still enjoy marching bands. The first thing I do is count the number of tubas.

Being of average musical talent, I went to college for engineering and marched tuba for fun. My first concert season on tuba was in college. The music we played was interesting and challenging, espcially for me.

Three years out of college, I really began to miss playing. I started reading tubenet a couple of weeks ago to look for a horn.

My $0.02

Follow Ups: