Conn Monster leadpipe?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Bushrod Johnson on January 17, 1999 at 14:17:45:

Greetings!

First, I must say many thanks to Sean Chisham for this wonderous website! I "discovered" it a couple of weeks ago and have been reading daily. So, now I feel that I can post a question without feeling too much like a clod on a white carpet. A few years ago I acquired an old (1916) BBb Conn Monster Tuba 3 piston valves silver plated... I rescued it from a highschool band room where it was used for target practice, chewing gum disposal, percussion practice... it was sadness indeed. Being the sentimentalist that I am, I took the Old Man to the shop for some rehab. Not a complete resto job, just to good working order. $555 later I've got this great looking old Tube with a lot of character! However the lead pipe which was crushed beyond repair was replaced with a smaller bore pipe. The repairman (an artist and a gentleman, I must say) said he couln't locate the original size but he didn't think it would make much of a difference. The horn sounds great and plays good from F bottom of staff all the way up to the high Bb and beyond. Things seem to get increasingly more difficult from F down to E and just forget about the pedal... Could this be caused by the smaller pipe? I know it's not from a lack of hot air(;V} Any ideas, suggestions, or comments would be appreciated.
Thanks!
Bushrod

Follow Ups: