Re: Re: What can you tell me about the B&S Perantucci's.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Richard on January 20, 1999 at 17:53:28:

In Reply to: Re: What can you tell me about the B&S Perantucci's. posted by Tommo on January 20, 1999 at 03:51:04:

Hi
I play a PT6 and find it to have a great consistency in its sound throughout the register.
It does not quite have the low regester grunt of a 6/4 horn. I have used it on large and small orchestras, brass quintets and even for the odd solo during an audition.(although if you were playing lots of solo repertoire you might strongly consider a good F or EEb) I bought mine through Steve Rosse, he picked it out from three at the factory, and I visited the factory when I was on an youth orchestra tour to pick it up. You may want to have several on hand when you try it. There have been a few minor problems I have had with the horn, but none that affects its sound quality. A couple of solder joints have come unstuck, but not in crucial places, and the first valve slide was very stiff, but this was fixed with a bit if grinding paste(be extremely careful)
I ordered mine stock from the factory, but you could get the horn set up different ways. One alternative setup is to have the 5th valve opertated by the left hand, and the thumb on the right hand used to operate a first valve trigger. I was told about this setup by a one time student of Floyd's. This guy also had the main tuning slide cut, as he found that when the orchestra tuned to 442 or above that the tuba was flat. I find mine has a similar problem and am considering getting it cut(I was told about 13mm)
So all in all, its a great horn, well worth considering. You may want to look at alternatives, such as the Rudolf Meinl 5/4.
just my opnions
Richard
P.S Last time I saw him Steve Rosse was playing a Melton F, but he does sell and recommend a lot of Perantucci tubas, particularily to his students. Are you an Aussie Tommo? If you are drop us a line.

Follow Ups: