Re: Orchesral Tubists

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Sean Chisham on January 22, 1999 at 09:45:59:

In Reply to: Orchesral Tubists posted by Josh on January 21, 1999 at 22:45:30:

Greatest ever? Well I always use the Reiner recordings with Arnold Jacobs as a benchmark to evaluate how it's supposed to be done.

Greatest now? That's a tough call. The benchmark mentioned above is pretty tough to match. Choosing one's favorite current player depends on one's priorities and tastes. Few of us have been exposed to enough diverse examples of performances by most of the professional orchestral tubists working today to form a strong favorite. From the little exposure I have had, in perspective to what is actually available, I have become very fond of what Floyd Cooley is doing in San Francisco. I am sure a great deal of that is due to my love for the San Francisco Symphony in general. Their recordings always come across as fresh and youthful. This is, no doubt, due in part to the music scene in the San Francisco Bay area. There are a great many orchestra's spread throughout the city. The arts also seems to maintain a great deal of financial support from the population there. The people themselves are also a very optomistic bunch. Everyone seems to have a perpetual smile on their face. For me, my visit to San Francisco was almost surreal seeing so many smiling faces.

sean

Follow Ups: