Re: Benefits--Laq. removal

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Winton White on January 23, 1999 at 11:01:10:

In Reply to: Benefits--Laq. removal posted by Jon on January 15, 1999 at 21:23:54:

I've asked many people this question myself. I asked my former private teacher this and he told me a true story:

These people started off with a trombone player behind a curtain with two trombones. One had lacquer and the other had the lacquer taken off. The three "judges" had the curtains pulled in front of the trombone player to see if the "judges" could hear a difference between the two trombones. They asked the trombone player to choose any trombone first and then choose the other. So the trombone player picked of the lacquer one and started playing on it, and the judges commented on the brightness of its tone. Then the trombone player put down the lacquer trombone, walked a few steps, and picked up the lacquer trombone again (he cheeted!). When he started playing on the lacquer trombone again, the judges started commenting on how "mellow" and "dark" and "how much of a better tone" it had; which was completely opposite of their comment the first time.

Soooooooo that's the end of THAT fairy tale. I also asked a professional college instruments repair man about instruments with the lacquered taken off and asked if I don't have to worry about finger prints anymore. Then he told me that that might be true.......for awhile. After a awhile the instrument will start turning darker somewhat and have black spots on it because of all the dirt and oil that goes in between the very small gaps in the instrument. Therefore, it's more of a hassle to clean the instrument. That was very long but it's all I learned from very reliable sources.

The End

Follow Ups: