Custom Music Tubas, Jerome Callet and John O'Reilly

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Daryl Hickman on January 29, 1999 at 22:04:53:

What do all of these have in common? My experiences at the Missouri Music Educators Convention the past two days.

1) Jeff Rideout of Custom Music was there displaying their wares. Jeff is a wonderful representative and I enjoyed the opportunity to play: PT-10 F, PT-15 F, PT-4P CC, PT-6P CC, PT-7 CC as well as Sanders BBb's and Perantucci and Hirsbrunner tubas and euphoniums. I tried them all. My favorite, hard to say, but I'll vote for the giant silver PT-7P. What a wonderful tuba. I was so nice, it even made me have a beautiful sound :-). BTW, the Sanders rotary BBb's would be excellent choices for those looking at tubas in the $3000 range. Thanks Jeff!
2) Jerome Callet, famous New York trumpet and mouthpiece maker was across from Jeff's booth. After suffering through may playing all of the tubas on my Canadian Brass Daellenbach mouthpiece (Thanks for selling back to me Harry :-), he suggested some options that would open-up my sound on the bigger tubas. Mr. Callet at 69 years old (hard to believe after meeting him), is making excellent custom tuba mouthpieces now. I will soon be testing out one of his models on a long term basis. He also had one of his new tenor trombones there - excellent horn.
3) The highlight of my trip was a long conversation with noted middle school band composer John O'Reilly of Alfred Publishing. During our conversation I mentioned Sam Pilafian's new C.D. Meltdown. Mr. O'Reilly beamed with pleasure when he announced that his son John, Jr. was the percussionist on that recording. Small world. Anyway a great time.

I am by no means an expert now on B&S tubas, but if you want any opinions, let me know. Take care, Daryl

Follow Ups: