Re: Is the Tuba a Solo Instrument??????

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Adam Peck on January 13, 2000 at 22:11:44:

In Reply to: Is the Tuba a Solo Instrument?????? posted by Erik on January 11, 2000 at 07:33:46:

Just a few thoughts to add to the other interesting comments. Any discussion of the tuba as a solo instrument should include our wooden counterparts...the double basses. Just as the tuba is the lowest pitched member of the brass section the bass performs that role for the strings. I have had the pleasure to hear a few wonderful musicians performing solo works on the double bass and although I am amazed at their technique and musicianship I cannot say these performances have led me to hunt for recordings of these works. Even though we as tubists enjoy hearing the performances of soloists on our instruments the general public will probably never be as interested. Now I personally feel the tuba is better suited as an expressive instrument than its orchestral counterpart. We are capable of producing a wide range of volume,color and sonority on our horns. Our best soloists,some of whom are contributers to this site,play wonderfully but in my opinion will never gain the popularity of soloists on other instruments. Another observation...how many of us listen to popular music groups whose lead singers are basses? How popular are "The Three Basses" concerts? Please don't get me wrong I love playing the tuba and I think the future for the instrument is bright but I doubt the tuba will ever gain wide acceptance as a solo instrument.

Follow Ups: