Re: Tonguing Problems

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by sam on January 20, 2000 at 22:39:09:

In Reply to: Tonguing Problems posted by I'll chop it off!!! on January 20, 2000 at 18:40:47:

I totally agree with the previous posts. Use a too-koo tonguing technique. Again, as in the other posts start slow, very slow. You may find it's a pain, but it's the only way to ensure clarity at faster tempos. One thing that I will add that was not mentioned in the previous posts. Do it away from the horn as well. Such as while you are walking to-from school, inside of your place of business. What ever suits your needs. You will find that making an embouchure (sp?) and just speaking too-koo over and over will help in aiding the process when you go back to the horn. Also, use a metronome. Too many people try to start multiple tonguing without any sort of strict sense of beat. In otherwords, you may lose time on the koo part of the multiple tonguing. Another thought, start with triple tonguing. Just trust me on this. If you think about it, the koo is only one-third of the set of notes. Where as in double tonguing it's half of the set. If you get a solid fondation on triple tonguing the double tonguing will come much easier and much quicker.

-sam

Follow Ups: