Re: Re: valve bass trombones

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by ACE on January 04, 2001 at 01:32:39:

In Reply to: Re: valve bass trombones posted by Steve C on January 04, 2001 at 00:04:16:

I own one of the Cerveny bass trombones in F with four rotary valves. The thing is beautifully built and weighs a ton. The mouthpiece receiver does not take a standard large shank bass trombone mouthpiece. I use a Schilke 59 that has been professionally shaved and replated. I have had my horn for a few years (had to wait 6 months to get it) and of all the brass instruments I use, this horn has really earned its keep. It's paid for itself over and over again. Conductors like its somewhat funereal sound for Requiems, Masses, etc. I would describe the tone as 70% bass trombone, 20% euphonium, and 10% French horn. The horn requires enormous amounts of air and the weight becomes a problem in long passages (e.g., Mozart Requiem). I'm thinking of having a support rod installed, or possibly have it reconfigured from a straight trombone to a cimbasso style. A picture of this instrument is on the Cerveny web site.

Follow Ups: