Re: It occurs to me

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on January 12, 2001 at 18:20:54:

In Reply to: It occurs to me posted by Joe S. on January 11, 2001 at 20:15:32:

Isn't it wonderful to know that a manufacturer who has been out of business for close to 50 years still has a product which has a significant demand? It occurs to me that players and technicians wouldn't be going to all the trouble and expense of making these old tubas serviceable unless there was a really good reason. And isn't it also nice to know that, with certain modifications and improvements, these pieces of history will go on educating generation after generation of our profession while remaining a part of history? In a day and age when we almost can have just about anything we want made, doesn't it make sense to find what you're looking for by finding the genuine article and turning that into exactly what you seek? If I were the maker, I'd be gratified to know that players still clamor over my products (some of them produced close to 100 years ago) even 50 years after I went out of business.

Is changing the original key of these tubas an insult? Or is it perhaps the biggest compliment that can be bestowed upon a manufacturer? And is it any coincidence that these tubas that are being bought and modified to resemble a certain instrument that was produced by this manufacturer are very similar in appearance and playing characteristics to several tubas produced currently by modern day manufacturers, said newly manufactured models being among the most expensive types of tubas ever produced.

The pursuit of excellence is not a mistake.

My opinion for what it's worth...

Follow Ups: