Re: Re: Re: Help! I have a student with Dislexia

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Bill on January 14, 2001 at 15:20:57:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Help! I have a student with Dislexia posted by David L. Allen on January 14, 2001 at 11:36:44:

I simply played the notes, as I pointed to them, with what ever instrument I had handy and asked them to play the notes as well with me when the could. Dislexia no longer has the precise meaning it once did; it is now simply the inability to read. If I wanted to show a fingering for a note, I held up the instrument with the note fingered; if I wanted to demonstrate the rhythm, I hummed or played it while tapping it lightly on their shoulders. It seemed to work and I had 4 years with the kids before they went on to a secondary school. They contributed to their school bands but were never the best players and far from the worst.

Your description of your student's problem is only one of several with the title dyslexia that I found in doing some minor research. I was fortunate to be near a University Education Faculty and they were cooperative in helping me understand what might be going on but didn't have a clue about music education to such students. The latest young lady I have taught, I did not have in a class room, only as a private student. She is a superb athlete and a fine musician so none of us was surprised that she learned well and quickly; but amazed that a teacher would make a reading exercise out of playing scales.
Contrary to the other students, she is the best in her class and will eventually become 1st chair in her high school next year or the year after.

Follow Ups: