Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: OK, enough jawin' and worryin'

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joe S. on January 17, 2001 at 20:11:40:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: OK, enough jawin' and worryin' posted by Rick Denney on January 17, 2001 at 11:46:02:

My 5th rotor tubing will be back there, probably. I might try to use a couple of those W-I-D-E crooks to make a single-loop front-mounted #4 slide assembly. Besides the #5 tubing, I need to put the 3rd branch back there, to make room for the #5 rotor on the front side of the tuba.

I know you are thinking that the secret to that instrument's low range is the open-wrap of the #4 tubing. I think the response is in the BRANCHES and not in the fact that #4 is "open-wrap". For instance, mine REALLY "wails" down low, EVEN THOUGH it has a piece of garbage pea-shooter mouthpipe. In addition, a lot of the #4 tubing was SMUSHED 50% FLAT, but the low notes STILL "wail".

There is ONE french horn manufacturer (of hand-made horns) who thinks the OPPOSITE of everyone else. HE believes that when a turn needs to be made, it should be as sharply as possible to GET IT OVER WITH instead of distorting the sound column of a WHOLE BUNCH of tubing. His horns, obviously, have sharp turns and a lot of straight tubing... They play REALLY well and "OPEN".

Follow Ups: