Re: Re: Hirsbrunner/Nirschl Evaluation

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on January 18, 2001 at 17:30:45:

In Reply to: Re: Hirsbrunner/Nirschl Evaluation posted by Bill Jagnow on January 18, 2001 at 17:02:55:

Bill, what kind of horn are you playing now? What do you not like about your sound on that horn?

Realize something that experience teaches. The comparison between German and American horn sounds applies to one player only. My sound is more like a blossom and less like a column on the York Master, compared with *my* sound on the Miraphone. But my sound on both is far less deep and resonant than, say, Mike Sanders's sound on either the Yorkbrunner he plays now or the Alexander he used to play. The differences between his sound on those two horns is noticeable and not subtle, but it is also much smaller than the vast difference between his sound and mine, irrespective of equipment. Changing equipment will give you a sound that's different from your old equipment, but not necessarily the sound that you seek. That takes Something Else. I suspect that Something Else is within you, not your horn.

(By the way, if you find it, tell me where it is.)

Rick "Always searching for that Something Else" Denney

Follow Ups: