Re: cryogenic tuba freezing

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Cryotuba on February 01, 2001 at 19:57:14:

In Reply to: cryogenic tuba freezing posted by Bill Troiano on January 31, 2001 at 18:25:52:

I did this to my horn under a very controlled cercumstances, and this is what I have to say. I believe you change the Resonating frequency of the tuba. I believe all tuba have a note that they play better than any other. This note I think is what we would call the resonating frequency of the tuba. When you freeze the horn the metel changes, and thus the resonating frequency changes. Now if you froze a bunch of horns and knew how to figure out resonating frequencies of tubas i believe you could tell a person exactly what freezing their particular horn might do. FOR ME IT RAISED THE frequency which made the upper partials easier to get but made the bottom a tiny bit less open, not stuffy just a bit less open. This is what I wanted done. However if you wanted to open the bottom low playing, and you raised the resonating frequency I think you could have a problem. So thats my thoughts. ALso if anybody is interested in doing this in the Washington area I can do this for about $200 but you have to ship it to me.

I know this is all to breif and I could explain more if you would like.

Follow Ups: