Re: Re: bass clef parts in Bb and Eb

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Klaus on January 13, 2002 at 02:01:06:

In Reply to: Re: bass clef parts in Bb and Eb posted by Ian Easton on January 13, 2002 at 00:53:18:

What I have seen, and hence, what I referred to, was a number of misorderings for the small local mixed WW and brass band.

They received sets consisting of a reduced 3 or 4 stave score which were intended for "universal" use for all bands no matter how they were manned. Plus parts for almost any concievable wind instrument short of contrabass sarrusophone.

But reading the preface revealed, that the editor offered several subsets of parts:

For Dutch-Belgian concert bands, where multipart flugelhorns are prominent, and where we see the use of transposed bass clef instruments.

For German and US concert bands, that largely confirm in notation, but which differ a bit in the tenor range conical brasses.

British style brass band.

There obviously is some overlapping between the sets. Yet it should be possible to order at set, that fairly precisely covers the needs of ones own band. It is in this ordering and order-accepting process, that errors can occur.

Just to mention one sample: If a US band e-mails an order for an unspecified "concert band" version of a certain composition or arrangement, then it does not go without saying, that the youngest apprentice clerk of the Dutch edition automatically ships the US related subset of parts.

And then the thread-starting situation arises.

Klaus

PS: The Belgian and Dutch arrangements often have two sets of horn parts. Identical but for the transpostions for F and Eb instruments respectively.

The F parts are intended for French horns and the Eb parts for alto horns. The interpretation that I back, is that either a band uses French horns or it uses alto horns. But I have met a Belgian band having 4 French horns and 4 alto horns doubling the same musical functions. Which did not further any degree of ensemble clarity.

Follow Ups: