Re: Professional Musicianship

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by David on January 13, 2002 at 23:35:11:

In Reply to: Professional Musicianship posted by Peter J. Felice on January 13, 2002 at 22:51:51:

Peter, I have been a "professional" musician for over 30 years. Each of us has impressions of what we 'think' professional means. At the age of 20, my impression was entirely different than at the age of 50. At 20, I thought the only thing that made a "professional" was money. At 50, there is more to it. Yes, there is the money thing, but in addition, a professional musician is one who puts it all together all the time. This means that tone quality, attacks, musicality, you name something that is important and a "professional" can do it anytime under any circumstance. That means playing sick with a high temperature or nauseaus or a headache or really tired or really early or really late or with a really lousy conductor or, well you get the picture.

If you, or anyone else, has a desire to be a "professional musician" you have to get over all the hurdles. Sometimes you get your feelings hurt, sometimes you're on top of the world. A true professional has had them both. And at all times, the professional maintains the ability to produce "music" in all its' forms.

Just one opinion.

Follow Ups: