Re: Re: ITEC 2002 Artist Euphonium Competition

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by opinion again on January 18, 2002 at 09:39:39:

In Reply to: Re: ITEC 2002 Artist Euphonium Competition posted by not me on January 17, 2002 at 07:24:31:

i posted something earlier but must have said something wrong, since my post is gone. my intent was not to be degrading, i just want to state my strong feelings on this issue... i will try to be more tactful this time and leave out anything that could be unprofessional. my apologies to Sean and everyone else...

my opinion is this... i don't feel any teachers should discourage their students from entering because of (key word) alleged unfairness. everyone is going to have different opinions on what qualities the finest players will possess, and how those qualities rank in importance. rather, i think teachers should consider the value of participation in the competitions. not only is recording a valuable experience, but it will enlighten the student on strenghts and weaknesses of his/her own playing. in my case, it gave me confidence, and the ability to gauge my improvement. i have become a better player because of it. competing, or just recording alone, will provide a catalyst to the student to push his / her self to a personal best, and in some cases surpass it. as an "old" young player, the experience has done this for me. if only i had learned sooner.

just my opinion. thanks.

Follow Ups: